Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th July

Unusually for me I managed to get down to the Meadow both days this weekend. Saturday was another good wader passage day with a BLACK-TAILED GODWIT, a REDSHANK and a good total of 8 COMMON SANDPIPERS. There's been a reasonable passage of wood sandpipers elsewhere in the country the last few days and I've been hoping for one on the Meadow but so far I've not had any luck. The rain has taken its toll on the shoreline though and the plover-friendly mud is now underwater again and consequently the plovers were no where to be seen. The wigeon is still about along with the tufted duck and the usual gadwalls.

On Sunday there were just the 2 COMMON SANDPIPERS again and little else on the wader front. 



As it's been rather gloomy in the evenings when I've been on the Meadow I've not been able to take any photos of late so here are a couple of moths from the garden recently: the upper one is a Bordered Sallow which is not that common in the county (this was the first Oxon, Berks & Bucks record of the year that I know of); the lower one is a Brimstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment