Monday 6th August

By the time I went for my evening visit today it was so dark and gloomy (and rainy) that I had real difficulty in making out some of the waders along the North Channel so all the counts today are rather approximate. The two WOOD SANDPIPERS were still around though rather agitated and I could hear them calling as soon as I arrived on the floods. As I got nearer they took to the air and spent some time flying around and calling loudly - I hope that they decided to come back down on the floods again as it's been great having them around for so long. The three GREENSHANK and two REDSHANK were still about and there were several GREEN SANDPIPER and COMMON SANDPIPERS - I got the impression of fewer birds than in recent days. There were four or so DUNLIN and a new addition today was a BLACK-TAILED GODWIT. On the gull front for the first time there were lots of larger gulls including plenty of juveniles though I couldn't find anything of particular note. There was a single juv MEDITERRANEAN GULL in quite an advanced moult towards first winter and several COMMON GULLS, mostly juveniles though one adult.

Once again in the gloom I am struggling to produce any pictures so here's a micro 
moth Agapeta Hamana which is quite common in amongst the thistle patches on the Meadow

No comments:

Post a Comment