Friday 4th April: Garganey & Wheatear

What a difference a day makes. Today was a full-on spring day with lots of different species fresh in to keep one occupied. By contrast the previous two days have been rather "samey" with the usual OYSETERCATCHERS and SHELDUCK the only birds of note. I even thought that the WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE had disappeared as I couldn't see it yesterday afternoon. However, on today's visit it was back in amongst the Greylags.

The star of today's visit was a handsome drake GARGANEY looking very much at home half way along the West Shore. The Meadow does look perfect for this species at present so I've been carefully looking out for these gorgeous ducks. I also finally managed to find a couple of LITTLE RINGED PLOVER along the North Shore. I can only think that it has been too boggy for them until now but the shoreline is starting to dry out a little now. I also finally found a PHEASANT (a very much overdue year tick) in the Hinterland. Two SWALLOWS worked their way north while I was there, a flock of 10 Golden Plover flew over and a WILLOW WARBLER was singing along the Castle Mill stream this morning as well. To cap it all a lovely WHEATEAR was working its way about the hillocks to the south of the floods. We get this species every year but only a handful of sightings so I'm always pleased to see one.

Today's splendid drake Garganey

So it's all kicking off at last. We should start getting the other warblers in over the next few weeks as well as Yellow and White Wagtails and with any luck finally get a bit more variety on the wader front. I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment