Sunday 27th December

I hope that everyone's Christmas was all that you were hoping for. In order to clear my head I made it out today in the insanely mild weather to the Meadow. Pick of the birds was a very welcome flock of 9 RUFF. This is no less than a year tick for the Patch list - the fact that we haven't seen a Ruff until December sadly indicative of the poor season that we've had for waders. Also of note were amongst the large number of birds were a couple of EGYPTIAN GEESE and three SHELDUCK. The gull roost was relatively modest in size though there were reasonable numbers of big gulls with one adult YELLOW-LEGGED GULL as a reward for my efforts. By the time I left there were 3 GOOSANDER on the floods though I suspect that more would have come in as it got darker.

The Ruff flock

No comments:

Post a Comment