Sunday 7th February

I had a productive visit to the Trap Grounds on Friday morning. Firstly the CETTI'S WARBLER was singing away periodically from deep within the main reed bed - let's hope that it stays and perhaps even breeds. Also heard from within the same reed bed was the WATER RAIL which has been with us for some time now. To round things off I found a male BLACKCAP near the boardwalk - the first for the year on the Patch. Usually I'd have had this species in my garden by now but as it's been such a mild winter they've not needed to come in to look for food. Also seen or at least heard were Goldcrests and Treecreepers.

There are a few Winter Heliotrope flowers showing in the Trap Grounds near the pond screen
though many of the leaves look somewhat frost-damaged.

Given the windy conditions there have been no reports over the weekend and with Storm Imogen raging as I write I'll probably not go out today though with any luck I'll be able to get out later on in the week. I'm itching to get back to grilling the gulls!

No comments:

Post a Comment