Sunday 28th January

Another week has gone by on the patch and the floods have been up and down once more due to recent rain. Indeed it was during an "up" phase that the star bird of the week turning up, a gorgeous 2nd winter CASPIAN GULL. Whereas the previous two birds had been less than classic birds this was about as classic as you can get - it really was stunning (if you're into that sort of thing, which of course I am!).


Apart from that there's not been anything of special note. As I often do at this time of year, I've been down at the Trap Grounds a lot, trying to catch up with some of the usual species for my personal year list. This week I've seen a nice pair of STOCK DOVES, Coal Tit, SISKIN, Treecreeper, and I finally caught up with Bullfinch in my own back garden.

Now that we're more or less at the end of the month I can start publishing a "wanted list" of things which I'm expecting to see on the Patch but haven't yet come across. So here we go:

Bramling
Buzzard
Coot
Tufted Duck
Skylark
Lesser Redpoll
Snipe

The Coot and  Tufted Duck can probably be found on the Wolvercote lakes somewhere but do let me know if you see any of them. Also, as we move into February it's time to start looking out for Curlew as this seems to be the best month for us to get one.


No comments:

Post a Comment